[tweetmeme source=”socialitedreams” only_single=false]
I stumbled across this list in the blogosphere and thought it’d be fun to see where I measure up, have I done many of the things? What about you, how does your life measure up on this list? (I’ve bolded the things that I’ve done)
36 Things Every Single Girl Must Do Before She Settles Down
**To Build Your Confidence**
1. Go to a movie alone. [me: I have no issues with doing that, I’m not there to talk to you during the movie anyway!]
2. Lift weights.
3. Try surfing, water-skiing, or some activity you don’t already know how to do. Could be riding a bicycle. [Me: Does Karoake count? I hadn’t done that til this year with some alcohol confidence]
4. Take out the trash, set a mousetrap, do your taxes, build a bookcase.
5. Live alone, or at least move apartments in NYC without the help of family.
6. Train for (and finish) a huge physical test like a half-marathon.
7. Go to a scary doctor’s appointment by yourself.
8. Quit your job.
9. Fly to a foreign country by yourself. [I wasn’t alone, but I was a student ambassador and with a group of people that I didn’t know. 14 without my mom was something I’d never done, not THAT far (7 European countries, 3 weeks)]
10. Learn to stand up for yourself. [me: Yeah that’s not a problem]
**To Be Able to Look Back and Say “I Had Fun”**
11. Witness something once-in-a-lifetime, like Jokulsarlon, a lake next to a melting glacier in Iceland.
12. Revel in being able to watch all the TV you want.
13. Get drunk during the day, just because you can. Attend Santacon, the convention for santas, or similar.
14. Go on a date with someone who actually makes you nervous. [me: good nervous, not like “i think he’s a serial killer…oh what the hell may as well]
15. Go out with an older man who takes you somewhere nice and makes you feel like a million bucks.
16. Go out with a guy who makes you laugh ‘til it hurts.
**To Get Perspective**
17. Be a good wingwoman. It’s not always about you.
18. Chill with your widowed and single grandma. She knows “alone”!
**To Make You Appreciate the Next Guy**
20. Do at least one Valentine’s Day alone. [me: oh wait, i had a choice in that??]
21. Attend a wedding (or 15) alone.
22. Date the creeps. You’ll really value the nice guys afterward. [meh, not going for that one. i already know a good one when I see him]
**To Make You Feel Sexy and Attractive**
23. Buy yourself some flowers.
24. Invest in a LBD (little black dress) and some sexy stilettos.
25. Sit at a bar by yourself and drink a martini. Cool.
26. Buy something frivolous and expensive that you LOVE wearing.
**To Make the Most of Your Free Time**
27. Finish all your schooling if you can.
28. Throw yourself into something time-consuming, like learning a foreign language. You may not have time to do this again until you retire and the kids are off to college. [I want to refreshen my Spanish so that I’m fluent at it, need to stop putting it off!]
**To Make Yourself a Better Partner in the Future**
29. Make a list of all your faults.
30. Learn to cook well.
31. Get some hobbies. Something’s gotta keep you occupied—plus it’ll make you seem interesting. [blogging count? and being a foodie :D]
32. Let your married friends edit your online dating profile.
33. Get your finances in order. [ugh, I’m trying…would be nice to have super steady income to DO so!]
**To Appreciate Being Single**
34. Babysit someone’s baby for an hour. [babysitting right now. I love the kids, love my lil munchkin. And I was a nanny, so um yeah, got that covered]
35. Help a friend through her divorce or a bad break-up.
36. Host a girls-only night. I think some coupled-up women forget how much we need each other.
What have I forgotten? What do you make sure to do while you’re still single?